Customs House


The Customs House was built in 1863 and is situated on Royal Circus. This site became the most important business and administrative location in the town. It was the junction of major trade routes in the South East. Wool wagons approached the harbour along Victoria Street and Mundy Terrace, and terminated at the Royal Circus which functioned as a roundabout. Customs facilities, the bond stores and Ormerod's warehouse were located at this point, where the transfer of goods between land and the sea routes took place.

Henry Melville, the first full-time Collector of Customs and Harbour Master was appointed in 1855. His office was the Customs House. His duties also included Receiver of Wrecks and Charge of the telegraph station. He was a key figure in Robe during his fourteen years' residence as an important official and a vivid personality during the energetic era of trade, shipwreck, immigration, and "Chinese invasion".

The Customs House was used as a Council Office and Chambers from 1869 (when the District Council of Robe was proclaimed) until 1969, when the councillors of the day moved that a new Council office was built.

Since this time, it has been turned into a Museum which is open Tuesdays and Saturdays 2.00 - 4.00 pm (Monday to Saturday 2.00 - 4.00 pm, January Only).



Customs House

Customs House

Robe SA Map

The District Council of Robe is located in one of the most diverse and exciting areas within the state of South Australia. Situated along SA's magnificent Limestone Coast, this historic seaside port has an abundance of attractions on offer.

Contact Council

Royal Circus, Robe SA 5276

Phone: 08 8768 2003