Our Council is concerned about the health and well-being of our residents.
In an effort to minimize the exposure of our broader community, I want to advise you that due to COVID-19, we have decided to actively discourage visitors to all towns within the District Council of Robe including, Robe, Boatswain Point, Nora Creina, Greenways and Mt Benson.
We have not made this decision lightly and have taken the following key factors into consideration:
- Robe has very limited medical facilities and employees;
- Our ambulance is operated by volunteers and may or may not be available to transport infected patients to a hospital;
- There is only a small supply of Personal Protective Equipment in town at the moment to protect our medical personnel;
- We have only one pharmacist to distribute vital medical supplies to community members;
- Our mobile paramedic covers a large area and may or may not be available in an emergency; and
- There is only limited testing for the virus available in Robe for anyone becoming unwell once you arrive.
We have also been told by some of the hospitality businesses that they are considering closing due to the Government directives that requires in a given occupied space, there must be a density of no more than one person per four square metres of floor space. This makes running these businesses unviable in the short term.
We also want to make you aware that there is potentially going to be major limitations on purchases at the Robe supermarket. This may involve you being unable to purchase food if you are not a resident as is being implemented in other areas.
In light of this information, I ask that you reconsider your need to come to Robe to either holiday or self-isolate.
I understand that this is not welcome news to anyone, locals and tourists alike, however I ask that you please be patient and respectful whilst we work together to protect our community.
We will be meeting Tuesday night with a variety of medical and tourism stakeholders to discuss this further.
Please phone me if you would like to discuss this further. Please share this information with people you know so that we can get the message out to anyone considering coming to Robe.