Building a dwelling or making an alteration to an existing dwelling will require Development Approval. Development Approvals comprise both Development Plan Consent and Building Rules Consent.

What is required to submit a Development Application?

  • Development Application Form including Electricity Declaration Form – signed and dated
  • Fees paid – calculated by Council staff
  • Copy of Current Certificate of Title (A copy of the Title can be obtained via www.sailis.sa.gov.au for a fee)
  • Refer to Development Application Checklist

Planning Assessment Considerations

A planning assessment involves assessing the impact of development, including:

  • Potential impact of development upon adjoining buildings, properties and people (eg. Overshadowing, overlooking and visual dominance)
  • Impact to the character of existing buildings in an existing street or locality

Examples of other criteria considered during assessment are heritage, access and traffic.

Your application will be assessed against the objectives and principles of the District Council of Robe’s Development Plan, with the application process determined by the Development Act 1993 and Development Regulations 2008. The Development Plan divides the Council area into Zones and Policy Areas with different policies applicable for each. Please refer to Council’s Development Plan.

Excavation, filling and Retaining Walls

In most cases, excavation and filling of land and associated retaining walls will need Council approval as the work is associated with the construction of a building or other structure. Details of proposed earthworks and retaining walls should be detailed as part of a Development Application for the construction of the building.

Retaining walls that are proposed, no to facilitate construction of a building but only to enhance landscaped gardens of an existing home for example, are likely to require Council Approval if any of the following apply:

  • The property is a State or Local Heritage place;
  • The retaining wall retains a difference in ground level exceeding one metre; or two retaining walls or a series of retaining walls, are used tighter in a tiered fashion to retain an overall difference in ground level exceeding one meter;
  • The total height of a retaining wall with fence exceeds 2.1 metres (measured to the lowest side).

If you propose to excavate or fill your land, or construct retaining wall, it is advisable to contact the Council to discuss your proposal, as Council approval may be required.

It is also essential that any excavation or filling that is occurring close to a boundary does not affect neighbouring properties or buildings on neighbouring properties and, in some case, a property owner is obliged to notify their neighbour.

As an Owner-Builder what are my responsibilities under the Development Act 1993?

Building in a Bushfire Risk Area under Planning


The above information is advisory only. It is intended to provide a guide and general understanding of the key point associated with the particular topic. It is not a substitute for reading the relevant legislation or the Development Plan.

It is recommended that if you are intending to undertaken development, you seek professional advice or contact the Council for any specific enquiries or for further assistance concerning the use and development of the land.